Wasps

Although Wasps can be of use around the garden by consuming dead insects and eating flies they can be a nuisance too. Apart from stinging, their persistence can be irritating and present a threat to those allergic to their sting.

The sting of a Wasp should wear off within 24 hours; however, for a small minority of people the venom in their sting can cause anaphylactic shock which can be fatal. If you are in any doubt immediately seek medical advice.

The venom in Wasps contains a pheromone that causes other Wasps to become more aggressive. Try not to swat Wasps that are near their nest or other Wasps.

An ordinary sting can be treated with deodorant containing aluminium.

Treating a Wasp nest can be very dangerous. Wasps inside the nest will feel threatened and often become aggressive. This could cause them to sting you and others as they defend their nest and young.

To get rid of Wasps you do ‘not’ need to remove the nest, but you do need to treat it. Treating a Wasp nest should be carried out by a trained professional for safety reasons. A trained professional has the technical knowledge and access to a range of professional use insecticides which are not available to the public.

If you need help dealing with a Wasp nest, call Gary on 0787 984 1105.